Erectile dysfunction (ED), also referred to as impotence, is the most common sexual problem that men report to their doctor. To date, it affects approximately 30 million men. Though there are various other symptoms, physicians define erectile dysfunction as the inability to get and maintain an erection that is firm enough for sex. While occasional ED is common, progressive and/or frequent ED is not, and men should seek treatment.
Symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction
Having trouble with an erection from time to time is not necessarily cause for concern. If ED is an ongoing issue though, it can be the cause of stress, it may lead to depression, and it may negatively affect your self-confidence and your relationship. ED may also be a sign of underlying health issues that require treatment and can be a risk factor for heart disease. Symptoms of erectile dysfunction include:
- Trouble getting an erection
- Trouble keeping an erection
- Reduced sexual desire
- Premature ejaculation
- Delayed ejaculation
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
The male erection is a complex process that involves hormones, the brain, emotions, blood vessels, nerves, and muscles. While erectile dysfunction is usually the result of decreased blood supply to the penis, ED can arise from physical issues, psychological conditions, or a combination of the two.
Physical Causes of ED
- Low testosterone
- Increased age
- Heart disease
- Hardened arteries
- Clogged blood vessels
- High blood pressure
- Sleep disorders
- Certain prescription medications
- Tobacco use
- Alcoholism and other forms of substance abuse
- Metabolic syndrome
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Peyronie’s disease
- Treatments for prostate cancer or an enlarged prostate
- Surgeries or injuries that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord.
Psychological Causes of ED
- Depression, anxiety, or other mental conditions
- Stress at home, at work, or socially
- Relationship conflicts
- Worry about sexual performance
Treatments for Erectile Dysfunction
At Mygenics, we diagnose and treat the underlying causes of erectile dysfunction. Once assessed, we can treat ED with numerous therapies including Hormone Replacement Therapy and/or Medical Weight Loss. We also specialize in ED-specific treatments such as the Priapus Shot® (P-Shot) and Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESWT). These treatments are outside of oral medications or direct injections like Trimix shots that can increase blood flow on an as-needed basis.
What is the Priapus Shot® (P-Shot)?
The P-Shot involves taking unique growth factors and proteins from the patient’s blood and injecting them directly into the penis. The growth factors trigger cell proliferation, speed up healing, and stimulate regeneration in an affected area. For erectile dysfunction specifically, the P-Shot can stimulate the rejuvenation of penile tissues for enhanced erections and enhanced sexual function. Patients can expect that the P-Shot may provide the following benefits:
- Stronger, firmer erections
- Increased stamina
- Increased sensitivity
- Improved blood flow
- Increased penile length and girth
What is Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESWT)?
Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy is a non-invasive treatment that utilizes low-intensity sound waves, much like lithotripsy. The sound waves pass through erectile tissue to clear out plaque from the blood vessels and to encourage the growth of new blood vessels. In short, ESWT helps restore natural erectile function and helps reverse the issues that caused erectile dysfunction in the first place. In clinical studies, ESWT has improved erectile function in 80% of men. Patients can expect that ESWT will help provide the following:
- Stronger, harder erections
- Improved spontaneous erections
- Enhanced sensitivity
For maximum benefit, we recommend combining the P-Shot with Shockwave Therapy, also known as wave therapy, for even more enhanced sexual function.
Trimix injections are a medication used to treat erectile dysfunction (ED). Doctors usually prescribe Trimix injections for men who have not responded well to oral ED medications or those who cannot take them due to medical conditions or interactions with other prescriptions. Here are some of the benefits of Trimix injections for individuals with ED:
- Increased blood flow: The primary benefit of Trimix injections is their ability to increase blood flow to the penis. One of the three active ingredients in Trimix is a vasodilator, meaning it dilates blood vessels, allowing more blood to flow into the penis. This enhanced blood flow helps to produce and maintain an erection.
- Effective for various causes of ED: Trimix injections are considered effective for a wide range of erectile dysfunction causes, including both physical and psychological factors.
- Fast onset of action: Trimix injections can take effect within 5 to 20 minutes after administration. This rapid onset of action can be advantageous compared to oral medications, which may take longer to work.
- Customizable dosing: Trimix injections can be customized to suit individual needs. Depending on the patient’s response and the severity of their ED, healthcare providers can adjust the dosage to achieve the desired effect without causing adverse effects.
The injection is typically administered directly into the side of the penis using a small needle and syringe. Many men can learn to self-inject the medication, providing convenience and privacy in managing their ED.
Are Erectile Dysfunction Treatments Right For Me?
Occasional trouble with an erection is not necessarily something to worry about. However, if you are experiencing progressing and/or continual issues with your erections, then erectile dysfunction treatments may be for you. At Mygenics, we’re happy to diagnose and treat any problems you may be having. To schedule an appointment, please fill out our contact form or give our office a call today.